Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Blog Entry #4


Café on the Vine

Blog Entry #4:

                When I went to Café on the Vine this time I arrived and we got right to work!  We got the ham and potatoes all ready.  We also had this spinach and rice stuff that looked really gross.  As I was serving I learned a few different people’s names!  I recognized most of the people that came in.  After a while we slowed down and I got some lunch and went out to the dining area and looked around for somewhere to sit.  I decided I did not want to eat by myself so I sat down across from a lady who was sitting by herself.  I asked her if I could sit there and she said very quietly “sure”.  I sat down and got situated, and then looked up at her and said “Hi, my names Ashley! What is your name?”  She quietly said her name and looked back down at her food.  I sat there for a moment eating with an awkward silence, and then asked her how she liked her lunch.  She looked at me and said “It is very good.” I nodded my head in agreement and asked her what she did for a living.  She finally opened up and we ended up having a rather lovely conversation about school and engineering which she had a degree in and how she ended up in Davenport.  After we both finished eating we said goodbye.  I realized that it took a little work but after we started talking this lady was very intelligent.  I realized that stereotyping is something I was doing without even knowing it.  When I think of someone in a business suit I automatically assume they are smart but the fact is money doesn’t always translate to intelligence.  At the same time if you see a person dressed in rags you assume they don’t have money and therefore could not afford an education. However, with today’s technology people who have no money can still be very educated.  I will use this when I meet people.  It will remind me not to prejudge people!

No comments:

Post a Comment