Café
on the Vine
Blog Entry #3:
On November
2nd I got to Café on the Vine around 10am. I started out by washing all of the tables
and chairs off. By the time they were
all clean, we were almost ready to start letting people in. I went to the back where I met a group of
darling ladies who were retired. Some
were trying to put apple sauce containers away and the others were peeling
potatoes. I helped them carry the
applesauce to the back, and they were very grateful. When people started coming in I couldn’t help
but be really excited! I am a people
person and getting to help people is something I enjoy doing. I was serving with this elderly man who was
pouring milk and juice, and we started talking about college and
engineering. He talked about his niece
and how she was a cheerleader. I could
tell how proud he was of her as he was talking about everything she has
accomplished. After we were done serving
and had closed, everyone helped clean up.
As we were serving, the man asked me if I was a senior. I thought he meant in high school but he
actually meant in college. It took me by
surprise because I figured people still see me as being young and more and more
recently I have been asked if I am a junior or senior. This has to do a lot with perception of self
as well as perception of others. I still
view myself as just out of high school but others see my outgoingness and
confidence as maturity and therefore think I am older than I actually am. This experience taught me that the way you
carry yourself effects the way people think about and act toward you. I can apply this to many aspects of
life. When I have interviews or business
meetings I can remember these things and therefore be seen as older and wiser!
No comments:
Post a Comment