Cafe on the Vine
Blog Entry 2:
When I arrived at Cafe on the Vine the morning of
Oct. 29th, the kitchen was already bustling with people. I met a lot of the
other volunteers rather quickly as they were rushing from place to place trying
to get food ready. My first task was to bring in squash from the big freezer
outside, and then cut them in half with huge knives. It was really fun! After I
helped with a handful of random tasks getting ready for our guests to arrive, I
was put on the serving station. Just as people started arriving the food was
coming out of the ovens. I asked each person if they wanted each type of food
we had to offer. They were all very respectful, but some were more outgoing
than others. I kept a big smile on my face and greeted each even the most timid
with a big "good morning!"
I suppose if
I were in their shoes it would be hard for me to have to, in a sense, swallow
my pride and except help. That is due to personality, perception of self and
others. They might be worried of being judged by others and possibly even by
me. That is why I tried to be extremely friendly! Due to the fact that people view themselves as
how they think others view them, could be the reason they are a bit more timid
at first. Another reason most likely is
due to self disclosure. I do not know
them at all yet so they could just be a little weary of me and strangers in
general. I learned that sometimes it is
better to hold back a little. People may
feel overwhelmed if you are overly happy or bubbly. People are more receptive
to a casual smile and good morning!
No comments:
Post a Comment